Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Childbirth Class

Buddy and I had our all day child birth class this past Saturday. We were there from 9-5 with a one hour lunch break. It didn't seem as long as I thought it would, but it was pretty long and uncomfortable. Our instructor looked oddly like Mrs. Shelia's twin. She is a nurse on the 5th floor and I hope she is there when we are because I want you all to see this craziness, and also to get a picture of Mrs. Shelia with her side by side.

I did get to feeling really uncomfortable and light headed during the morning session and had to take a 30 minute breather in the lactation room. I had told Buddy I didn't feel good and was going to the bathroom. Well I didn't come back for like 20 minutes because I was sitting in a more comfortable rocking chair in the lactation room where I could still hear what the instructor was saying for the most part. Buddy says the instructor stopped and asks him if I am alright. He turned around and told her he thought I was just standing up in the back this whole time. So off he went to find me with the instructor. When they found me, she told Buddy to bring the rocker out to the room so I could be a part of everything. I felt really bratty being the only one sitting comfortably, but what can I say? I felt better, I'm sorry they didn't think of it first. And I made it back just in time to see the graphic footage of a woman giving birth. When the baby came out (which they showed) I actually said, "Uh" in disgust. It looked disgusting, weird and painful. So glad I am going to be heavily medicated at that point.

That was all before lunch. After lunch we got back and went over what we needed to bring to the hospital, what we should expect happens after we give birth, how to diaper and swaddle a baby, then we had a hospital tour. The tour was probably the most beneficial part of the whole class. I liked to see where I was suppose to go, where everyone else would be in the waiting room and what the rooms looked like.

I will say that the Labor and Delivery room looks like a hotel suite. Which I am guessing they are trying to make you as comfortable as possible while you endure intense pain and raging hormones. Good plan. But you know what's not so good? The broom closet they put you in after you have GIVEN BIRTH! I don't know how they expect you, your husband, the baby and 3 other people plus a nurse to fit into this room. It will make me feel really overwhelmed and nervous if that many people are in my room at a time. I might scream, and possibly do a lot of other things I won't be proud of in the morning. So if I go crazy and tell you to get out, know that I love you and appreciate you coming, but make your visit short or just come see us at the house.

I feel much more prepared now, but it is starting to set in that I actually have to do this soon and that is scary. Approximately 8 weeks from now I will be in the worst pain of my life. The anticipation is anxiety is odd. How can you prepare yourself for pain? Usually you don't know it's coming, but I know it's coming and I have no idea how to prepare for that. And I don't know how either one of us is going to handle it. I am already thinking I might want my mommy (yes I said mommy) in the labor and delivery room. We have decided it will just be me and Buddy, and I am going to try to stick to that. I just have a feeling I might have a break down and want her too and at that point Buddy might want her in there too to take some of the pressure off him. Who knows? I guess we will just have to wait and see.

4 comments:

  1. when I was in having Katie, a friend came by to relieve Mark for supper and she stayed the rest of the night and it was really neat. my mom was too old to come up there and hang out at that time. But Mark supported my neck & head as I pushed and Rachel cheered me on. So I'm guessing you might want to keep that mommy invite open. Of course unless she can't take it!! haha (Gayle)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mallory-
    I'm so glad you got to see where you are going to be so that you won't be in a totally new place when the time comes. You are going to be a GREAT mom and I cannot wait to see all the photos!

    I can't even imagine the anxiety you are experiencing knowing that you are about to go through this, but just remember that God doesn't put you through anything that you can't handle. Just take advantage of the drugs leave the rest to God, haha. You'll be fine, I know that you are a strong person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite thing that I have heard regarding pain was this:

    Everyone gets the same reward at the end of childbirth, whether they had drugs or not - so TAKE the drugs. They're not passing out trophies for those that said no to drugs!

    I'm not going to say that it's painless, BUT the epi. will definitely take alot of the pain away! You are going to do great! I can't wait to meet Beau!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will just say this... That painful pregnancy part you talk about: I've done that twice now.. If I could skip to the birth, I'd have a third one.. But it's the thought of being pregnant again, not the birth that makes me hesitate. Of course, some people don't carry it as gracefully as you :). In my opinion, once you get to the birth, you've got the worse part over with.

    Once I got to the heavily medicated part, I wasn't worried about you at all.. Epidurals are our friend!

    ReplyDelete