Friday, August 13, 2010

Breastfeeding Class

Last night I had my breastfeeding class. I wouldn't have signed up for it or sought it out had they not told me it was free because of the childbirth class we took and had a signup sheet there at the door when we left. So I figured why not? I don't know what I'm doing, I probably do need a class.

Well I figured it would be a room full of pregnant women without their husbands, so I didn't even think to make Buddy come. So when my mom asked if I wanted her to come the offer was so tempting, and I really did want someone there with me, and there is no better person the than Nurse Mama Kim for that role. But I got to thinking that no one else would have their mom's there, so I decided to be e big girl and go by myself like everyone else.

Wrong. So wrong. When I get there half of them drug their husbands along and two of the women even had their moms! I felt so alone, and wanted someone to drive to downtown Albany ASAP and be there with me! I felt like I was the only one who didn't have anyone. Even the lesbian couple in front of me had each other and I didn't have my husband or my mom! But I put on my big girl pants and just dealt with the fact that I was going to sit there, listen and learn.

Did I mention the air conditioner was out? Yeah a room about the size of two large closets packed full of pregnant women (and the lucky ones with a husband, mom, or "partner") with no air. Yeah this is going to be a great environment for learning. Very conducive. Right.

I fidgeted in my chair the whole two hours. My feet and wrists started swelling (which I noticed about half way through), which just added to the feeling of anxiety that was starting to suffocate me because I was uncomfortable and surrounded by SO MANY PEOPLE.

But all in all the class was very good. I was able to stay focused the whole time and it was all very interesting.

The thing that gets me is how they tell you all these great things like my favorite, "Your body was made for this, you are suppose to breastfeed your baby." Which makes you feel like this whole thing is going to be a breeze. But then they start on things like, "if they don't latch on correctly, you will get soar and have cracked nipples," and "if you have problems, it's ok it might just take some time." Um what happened to the first thing you said about my body being made for this and my baby having an innate nature to nurse? Why is it a learned behavior now?

I guess they are trying to get us all excited and pumped up about taking on this task, then they slowly drop in things that "might" happen to you. I guess if you thought it was going to be easy breezy and it ended up being difficult at first then you might want to give up. They just want you to be prepared...I guess.

And in any case I am fortunate to have a great lactation center here in Albany that I can go visit if I DO have problems. Hopefully not though. Pray it all goes smoothly!

2 comments:

  1. I feel like I always comment on your blog with some long story, well - no exception this time. Sorry! :)

    I tried to nurse SJ and it was horrible. Terrible. I cried. It hurt. I quit 3 weeks into it.

    I don't really know why I tried it again with Raleigh, but I did - and it's GREAT! I'm serious, it never hurt, never blistered, never cracked, never anything bad - a breeze! I'll be praying it goes like that for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the lactation nurse was sooo helpful. yes it looks easy but it takes a little work to make it comfortable for you and her. But it is worth it and lots of folks have made it thru and you will too.

    ReplyDelete