Thursday, June 24, 2010

To Jay

I have always been the one to criticize people who blog, but since being inspired by Jay Houston and her blog Janey and Me, Happily I have really enjoyed keeping up with my blog, reading her's and exploring others. I find that sharing what you are going through helps so many people in so many ways. It helps them keep up with you, it helps them in their everyday life, makes them smile, makes them cry, makes them laugh, gives them a reality check, gives them things to look forward to, and sometimes makes their day. It makes them want to be better, it makes them want to be where you are, it gives them the hope they need, and it brings them on occasion to a closer understanding of how God sees them and all His children.

Jay you have done ALL of these things for me with EVERY one of your posts. They inspire me to the same honesty, and I thought you should know what an influence they have on me and I wanted to share that with everyone else who reads my own blog.

Your post recently "Something I Really Needed" was exactly what I really needed! I was holding back tears in the office this morning as a read it and wanted to share some of it with my readers.

"This is what I know now: You, pregnant mama-to-be, are nothing short of a walking miracle--heartburn, varicose veins, swollen ankles and all.

But this is my prayer for you: that just every once in a while, you have moments when everything stops, and you realize that you are blessed beyond measure, and that this season is faster than the blink of an eye.

Put your hands on your belly, and say thank you." --Shauna Niequist

And then Jay says:
"God answered her prayer, at least through me, today.

I made a promise to myself today that I would be thankful - that I would count these stretch marks and all the things that came with them as a blessing, as a reminder of the true gifts that came with them... and know that they are beautiful (for so many reasons), even if only in my eyes."

That really hit home with me because I know I am being a sour grape about this whole thing, thinking only of myself and about my body and how I am feeling. And I forget sometimes (well let's be honest, MOST of the time) that this time of being pregnant is fleeting and a miracle and the outcome is so much more important than the imperfections that come with it. So I am making the same pledge today and everyday afterwards, to count myself blessed, put my hands on my belly and say thank you, and to know that I am beautiful in my eyes and in His eyes. And more important than me, to be thankful that I have a miracle growing inside of me and to be happy that our lives will be better because of her.

Thanks Jay for all your inspiration and honesty. You have helped me more than you know!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, thank you Mallory!! What a compliment - that really means alot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing to hear that, Mal- great job Jay for helping her see what we all already do! Now can I touch your belly? ;)

    ReplyDelete